Thyroid Gland and Thyroid Disease 

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

On a global scale, a staggering 200 million people are suffering with thyroid gland problems, with over 50 percent remaining undiagnosed. In the US alone, the instance of thyroid disease is running close to epidemic levels. Equally worrying is the number of un-diagnosed or mis-diagnosed cases

The thyroid is a hormone producing gland that regulates our metabolism, the rate at which the body produces energy from nutrients and oxygen

Although relatively small, this gland produces hormones that influence every cell, tissue and organ in our body. The thyroid is often hailed as the "Master Gland" of our complex, interdependent endocrine system.

 The thyroid is responsible for two specific hormones, T3 and T4 that are critical for us to be healthy

Triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine, (T4) work together to regulate our metabolism, emotions and body temperature

T3 is the predominant and active hormone having  greatest impact on our health and well-being. T4 is mostly inactive and the forerunner to T3.

Our body is designed to convert T4 to T3, however Stress, hormonal and nutritional deficiencies can be triggers for creating an imbalance to this system.

The Thyroid Gland

"THE BOSS" of our Metabolism

 Symptoms of hypothyroidism include weight gain, fatigue, low body temperature and sleep disturbances,  as well as depression, difficulty concentrating, edema (fluid retention), hair loss, infertility, joint aches, constipation and light sensitivity 

It is estimated that Hypothyroidism affects more than 30 million women and 15 million men

The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, an autoimmune condition that causes the body to attack its own thyroid tissue.

Autoimmune disease accounts for 90 percent of Americans with hypothyroidism. The other 10 percent are afflicted with non-autoimmune hypothyroidism.

Some people will require thyroid drugs to treat Hashimoto’s. In some cases, medication is required indefinitely, especially when Hashimoto’s has gone undiagnosed and the thyroid is no longer producing hormones. It’s important to work with a qualified doctor to find what type of medication and dosage works well for you

When a person hasHashimoto's, antibodies specifically attack and damage their thyroid tissue

 Patients with hypothyroidism suffer from symptoms that are rarely traced to a sluggish thyroid. If you’re feeling blue or unmotivated, you may be prescribed an antidepressant. If you’re constipated, you’re told to take a laxative. If you’re having difficulty sleeping, you’re given a sleeping aid. The list goes on.

Synthroid and levothyroxine, both T4 drugs, are usually prescribed, but many still suffer from symptoms even when lab results are reading in the normal range. A combination T4-T3 medication is used to keep hormones balanced when levels become unstable.  Biodentical T4-T3, known most commonly as Armour Thyroid, for example, comes from dried porcine thyroid